Child and adolescent psychiatry or Paediatric psychiatry is a branch of psychiatry that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental disorders in children, adolescents and their families.
Examples of the kind of disorders that can affect young people include depression, anxiety disorders (including Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), trauma and neuro-developmental conditions such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, learning disabilities, Tourettes or Autistic Spectrum Condition.
In adolescence there may also be concerning behaviours such as self-injury, or substance misuse, that present a risk of escalating into chronic or severe difficulties. It is also a time that is more likely to present with conditions such as eating disorders, bipolar and psychotic disorders.
A child and adolescent psychiatrist is a medically trained doctor who has completed basic training in all areas of psychiatry and then specialised in the psychiatry of children and young people.
Meet the team
Dr. Luisa Sanz
- Works at Underley Garden for 8 hours once every fortnight
- Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
- Doctor Specialist in General Psychiatry (Spanish equivalent to MRCPsych)
- Post graduate Doctoral programme in Psychiatry
- Doctoral thesis in ADHD and ASD
- Licentiate in Medicine and Surgery (Spanish equivalent to MBChB)
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Member of the ADHD SCN Project Group
- Member of the Executive Panel for the North West ADHD Forum
- National and International Guest speaker with special interest in comorbid presentation of ADHD and ASD